Bedroom

The Snuggle Room

May 19, 2011

I need a cat whisperer. I am having issues with my beloved Milo. I adopted him in December and ever since he has gotten progressively more and more vocal to the point where he now wakes me up in the middle of the night meowing and crying loudly. It’s like having an infant.

So if any of you know an animal behaviorist, please help me. I love Milo dearly and I desperately want him to be happy. In between bouts of crying he joins me on my bed and snuggles so sweetly. Do you have any pets to snuggle with at night? And now for one of my clunkier segues… pictures of bedrooms!

Soft colors and inviting textiles are a tried and true recipe for a peaceful bedroom. Via Livet Hemma.

I really really love this color scheme. Antique beige, creamy aqua, serene white, and shots of lively red. I like those colors so much I gave each of them their own adjective! Whoa. Via Little Green Notebook, found via desire to inspire.

Via Adventurous Design Quest, via Stadshem.

This bedroom hints at the owner’s rockin’ personality. The occasional chair with a traditional shape was the perfect piece to break up this otherwise very modern room. And how cool is that vertical art installation? Photographed by Jean-Marc Wullschleger, via desire to inspire.

These are the sort of images I’d like to show to the folks who think that color is absolutely necessary in interior design. Apart from the view of greenery outdoors, this entire room is white and gray with some wood tones. And so lovely! Though I think its success is amplified by the gorgeous lighting. Via My White Room.

I can not get enough of bedrooms with interesting architectural elements. Wouldn’t you just love to spend a breezy morning relaxing here? The thought nearly breaks my heart it’s so wonderful. Via My White Room.

I love a lot of things in this room, but my favorite is definitely the chandelier. Fixtures like these take a delightful twist on the bare-bulb look by creating something sculptural and grand from the bulbs alone. This is one of those stunning high price tag items that I am convinced I could make for myself. Via My White Room.

And lastly, a complete departure from what I usually share with you. A rainbow coverlet is not exactly something I’d be eager to see normally, but I can not resist this fantastic combination of color. The simple geometrical pattern keeps the piece modern, allowing the colors to speak for themselves. I think it’s brilliant. Photographed by John Bendtsen, designed by Søren Rose Studio, via emmas designblogg.

Like This Post

You Might Also Like

9 Comments

• Reply Stephanie May 19, 2011 at 10:53 am

Tina! I am having the same problem with Bentley! He has always cried, obnoxiously, and we’re used to it, but lately its even worse! I don’t understand, I woke up one night because of it and thought he didn’t have food or something but he had food and water. I don’t know what it is. If you learn anything let me know!!

• Reply Christina Ebbers May 19, 2011 at 1:32 pm

I’ll definitely let you know if I learn anything, Steph. As of right now my only idea is to just keep ignoring his meowing in the hopes that he will learn that it doesn’t get him anywhere. The problem is that I think he’s just a naturally vocal cat and he may not give a crap that he’s not getting what he wants and keep meowing anyway. Hahaha.

• Reply CMAS Furniture May 19, 2011 at 12:44 pm

Hi, I don’t have any advice for Milo, but I do love the rooms you posted! Thanks for sharing.

• Reply C J May 20, 2011 at 11:03 am

Check out cat-world.com.au for a really helpful forum regarding Milo. The advice you’ll most likely receive though is that Milo is either bored or lonely or both. But the really good news is that he’s likely displaying this behaviour now because he’s so much more confident and secure in his new home! There are cats that simply need the companionship of a second feline – it may seem like double the trouble at first but it seriously works.

While you’re pondering that notion increase playtime dramatically and see if that resolves the issue. You don’t mention if he’s still a kitten and has been desexed yet (if not that would be a priority) so I’m just going to give several general play suggestions. Firstly, get him running, leaping and chasing – Da bird is cat play heaven. The way it spins and whirs when you whisk it through the air just seems intoxicating so make sure you get lots of attachments for variety and because they will be killed (da bird is not safe to be left unsecured when not in use, seriously, Milo will pull it down off a shelf if he can). Cat dancers are also commonly popular. Of course throwing pingpong balls around never goes astray either. If you’re already doing lots of interactive play that gets him running around the place then try electronic toys to help you out too. Undercover mouse and thing-in-a-bag are brilliant – thing in a bag can be put in other crunchy paper bags, under throw rugs etc for extra varitey and adventure. Some people will also use laser toys that create random patterns on the ground but some cats may find it frustrating to never “catch” their prey. At night time try taking out special toys that he only gets in the evening – challenge toys are best for nocturnal activities. A peek-a-prize box loaded with toys and or treats that he has to work out of the box can entertain for quite some time and don’t overlook puppy treat dispensing toys that work equally well with cat biccies.

Also we there are products including bach rescue remedies for cats and feliway diffusers (it releases calm cat phermones) that can also help.

Hope these suggestions help you out some!

• Reply Christina Ebbers May 22, 2011 at 6:19 pm

CJ- Thank you so much for visiting and for taking an interest in Milo! What you’ve said has been very helpful in how I’m thinking about the issue. I am toying with the idea of getting a second cat. Milo is 3 years old and interacted pretty amiably with the other cats at the shelter I got him at, so I think that is a possible solution. Thanks again for the advice!

• Reply Brenda Watts May 22, 2011 at 12:31 pm

I am visiting from the Art of Doing Stuff..beautiful blog…I have a big British Shorthair cat 3 yo who will howl when he is looking for playtime…maybe Milo, since cats are so nocturnal, wants you to play. It really takes animals a while to be fully adjusted in their new homes…he hasn’t been there all that long. Hang in there……if you are on fb this lady is a cat behavourist..I have 3 of her books, check out her page & ask her. She is really great to reply. Pam Johnson-Bennett…..Good luck.

• Reply Christina Ebbers May 22, 2011 at 6:21 pm

Brenda- So happy to have you here, and thank you! I appreciate your thoughts on Milo and thank you for mentioning the cat behaviorist!

• Reply Caiden September 3, 2011 at 6:37 pm

A bit srprusied it seems to simple and yet useful.