Design Voice Surveys

Introducing: Design Voice Surveys

September 29, 2011

I have been thinking that I would really love to provide some more engaging content so that you my wonderful readers can interact with each other and myself. The “vox” in the blog name is Latin for “voice”, and while initially I interpreted that as “my design voice”, I am increasingly interested in YOUR design voice. I crave your opinions. Haha. As I spend more time in the blogging world, I continue to discover the incredible value and fun of interacting with folks from all over the world with similar interests, unique perspectives, and new ideas.

So, I had this idea to occasionally whittle down my photographic finds to just one interesting image that for one reason or another is thought-provoking. I’d love it if this little exercise were to end up helping someone hammer out what their style is and lead them towards a better understanding of how to approach their own design ventures. So without further ado, our first Design Voice Survey!

Click here to take your Design Voice Survey!

When you’ve completed the 4 question survey, scroll down to read my analysis of the image and perhaps some insights into your own style!

Via my ideal home.

If you love this room, you might like interior decoration that could be described as:

• Retro
  • Mid-Century Modern
  • Masculine
  • Geometric
  • not Minimalist

You might like products like these:

Odyssey Chair / Green Pharmacy Lamp / Eames Bird / Stack 8 Drawer

My opinion was a bit mixed with this one. I’m drawn in by the bold shapes of the rug, but I don’t really love the colors of it. I’m alright with the slightly haphazard placement of the wall shelves, but I don’t like the muddy colors of the books and would prefer to have more pretty decorative pieces mixed in. And in general I think the room suffers from poor lighting.

Let me know what you guys think! Do you agree with the categories I’ve used to describe the room? I’m all ears!

You Might Also Like

9 Comments

• Reply Mia September 29, 2011 at 9:20 pm

loved this feature! Every part of it, great fun! And very interesting. It got me thinking a bit more about what exactly I liked about the room and it certainly was the vibe. Loved the look of the book selves and a the fact that it was the colourful rug in the room (although I thought opposite to you there: I liked the colours more than the pattern :)), together with that type of furniture: Nice style altogether – and great functionality (though I definitely agree it could have benefited from better and nicer lighting sources)

At the same time, in a kind of, other perspective, I wouldn’t have chosen any of it. !

Analyzing myself from this, it seems I mainly look though a ‘vibe and overall-mix’-lens. In this pic the different elements worked well together and it felt nice. Hah, I could analyse this forever! Thanks for the treat! :)

• Reply Christina Ebbers September 30, 2011 at 9:24 am

I can’t tell you how much I appreciate your encouragement, Mia. I haven’t gotten the hugest response from this feature (4 participants so far, haha) but everything has to start somewhere!

Your response is exactly what I’d hoped for! I think it’s so much fun to take a moment and figure out why we feel the way we do about something. I LOVE to analyze things. Haha.

The rug is a tricky one! I think my issue with it is while the colors are all nice individually, I would rather there not be so many all together. I would take out the green and maybe the yellow too and leave just the black, purple, and red. And as for the pattern, I think I am drawn to it just because it is eye-catching and graphic.

It is so funny that you realized that you wouldn’t have chosen any of this. Me neither! Haha. It’s so interesting to distinguish between styles that we appreciate, but wouldn’t choose to emulate. If I were to walk into a new acquaintance’s home with this look my eyes would probably light up and I would compliment them on their choices, but ultimately I would not design my own home this way.

Thanks so much for your thoughts! :)

• Reply Dark or Colorful, Always Cozy – Bedrooms « design-vox September 30, 2011 at 10:53 am

[…] Browse by Room design-vox « Introducing: Design Voice Surveys […]

• Reply henen September 30, 2011 at 3:12 pm

This is very interesting and great fun to explore how a room makes you feel! For me, the rug and the shelves made the room. I’m itching to add some extras though to bring it all together a bit more – some nice lights first of all and more colorful curtains. Kind of think a palm tree would look nice also :-) What I didn’t like so much was the drab wall colour and the lack of lighting and paintings or pictures. Overall a relaxed and very functional vibe to the room though!

• Reply Christina Ebbers September 30, 2011 at 4:01 pm

Hi Henen! So glad you stopped by! Your ideas about how to improve the room are spot on. A palm tree would be excellent. Haha. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts. :)

• Reply Ruth D October 3, 2011 at 10:55 am

I agree with you. The rug isn’t bad but the colors aren’t what I like, the shelves look cluttered and the edges of the shelves look unfinished against a white wall and the lighting is totally boring. How can someone work looking at those shelves? Especially when there is a window available.

• Reply Design Voice Survey #2 « design-vox October 4, 2011 at 11:54 am

[…] are the results from our first ever Design Voice Survey that was held last week regarding this […]

• Reply jamieshehan November 29, 2011 at 12:57 pm

I love this room. I would die for that rug. Nice piece. I’m off to see the rest of your site!

• Reply Christina Ebbers November 29, 2011 at 1:25 pm

Jamie, thank you so much for your kind words! Thrilled to have you here.