Workspace

Feeling Bookish with Home Offices

January 9, 2013

Workspace Design on Design-Vox.com

Do you have a home office? Do you spend a lot of time in there? Leave you feeling blah? It may be time to give that work space the design attention it deserves. No matter how unimportant a room seems, the bottom line is: if you spend a lot of time there, it should make you happy. Something as simple as a pair of statement lamps can do wonders.

Home Office Design on Design-Vox.com

This, friends, is redonkulous. Leave it to Kelly Wearstler to design a home office  that melts your face off. You’ll notice that bookshelves are a common factor in each of the photos today. There’s no denying the effect books have on a room. Cozy, lived-in, functional, inviting, and of course they make you look smart. I should take a moment to acknowledge that Wearstler’s design budgets are astronomical, which could easily leave the rest of us feeling discouraged but don’t let it! The key is to focus on concepts and details that can easily be translated into a more modest home. Like the aforementioned use of many books or just like in the previous photo, a pair of statement lamps.

Home Office Design at Design-Vox.com

I don’t know how functional that desk is (where do you hide all the inevitable cords?), but I admit that I love the concept of a desk being open to the room rather than jammed in a corner and facing a wall. My favorite aspect of this design is the seating nook with it’s comfy bench and dark, dramatic wall paint.

Which of these offices is your favorite? Let me know in the comments!

130108-favorite

One // Traditional Home via Savvy Home
Two // Kelly Wearstler via My Favorite and My Best
Three // Via Emily Henderson

Like This Post

You Might Also Like

8 Comments

• Reply Brian January 9, 2013 at 2:07 pm

I wonder if that Wearstler desk is custom made. Those statement lamps are a neat addition even though they contrast the hard angles of the desk.

• Reply CMYfabriK January 9, 2013 at 11:39 pm

Great post! I definitely love the first one, it has a more warm feeling than the other two. I love Kelly Wearstler but that design is too dark or masculine for me.

• Reply Christina Ebbers January 10, 2013 at 2:26 pm

Thanks CMYfabriK! The first one is my favorite too. 🙂 And I also agree with you about that not being the best of Wearstler’s designs. It’s super cool but if it was for my own home I’d want things done a little differently. Still inspiring though!

• Reply CMYfabriK January 10, 2013 at 2:42 pm

It’s definitely cool & inspiring. In my opinion her best work is the brightest and most colorful ones with the funky art and fabric, who doesn’t love them some color!?

• Reply Kerry Steele January 10, 2013 at 7:10 am

I like #3. The desk isn’t practical but the overall look is inviting.

• Reply Christina Ebbers January 10, 2013 at 2:28 pm

#3 is gorgeous. That one definitely is the lightest and perhaps most relaxed look. I’m glad you like it!

• Reply A Clean Slate For Hard Work – design-vox March 6, 2013 at 12:01 pm

[…] Last time I talked about home offices I featured some rooms that were full to the brim with accessories and especially books. If you’re going to be reading a lot as part of your work process, that’s some great inspiration. But what if you like so many folks these days do the bulk of your work on a computer? Futhermore, what if you have a hard time focusing sometimes (don’t we all?) and what you really is as little distraction as possible? […]