Kitchen

White Marble Countertops

February 26, 2013

kitchen022613 01

When it comes to design elements in kitchens, the single most enduring love of mine is white marble. Especially with gray veining. There are several varieties of marble that could match this description, but the most famous is Carrera marble. I just think it is gorgeous, either with a little veining or a lot.

kitchen022613 02

It is a popular choice for countertops in all styles of homes. There are, of course, pros and cons when it comes to any countertop material. The major con that you need to know with marble is that it is notoriously susceptible to scratching and staining. Substances like acidic lemon or red wine can mar the surface if left for only a matter of hours. With marble in the kitchen one must be very diligent with cleaning up spills immediately. You can lessen the risk of scratching and staining by selecting honed marble, which is a matte finish as opposed to a shiny polish. (And just as beautiful in my opinion.)

kitchen022613 03

I love this last image so much because not only do I find it beautiful, it is also a design that I would absolutely use in my own home. It has my beloved marble paired with classic subway tile and I love a mix of cabinet colors with a fresh, clean white on top and a grounding deep blue on the bottom. It is a beautiful, approachable kitchen.

one // designed by Michael S Smith
two // photographed by Shannon McGrath via Home Life
three // featured on the Kitchn via my ideal home

Like This Post

You Might Also Like

11 Comments

• Reply neonspndx February 26, 2013 at 1:42 pm

This is gorgeous. Wow. Thanks for sharing!

• Reply Christina Ebbers February 26, 2013 at 1:48 pm

And thank YOU for stopping by! Always lovely to see such nice comments. 🙂

• Reply junkyardcandy February 26, 2013 at 3:32 pm

That marble looks stunning!! I Imagine it’s not a cheap option though. I love the last picture too because marble can sometimes look over the top, but paired with that beautiful blue it simple and classy. Thanks for sharing. 🙂

• Reply Christina Ebbers February 26, 2013 at 3:37 pm

You know it’s weird, I’ve read some sources that say marble is actually one of the most affordable natural stone options as long as you select a commonly available variety. Marble certainly doesn’t look inexpensive though! I’m glad you enjoyed this post! 🙂

• Reply designbycd February 26, 2013 at 5:55 pm

Reblogged this on designbycd and commented:
    For Countertop Inspiration

• Reply Ma February 27, 2013 at 2:35 pm

I love marble, too… and I have also written about this.. earlier this month! I think you’ll like it: http://inspirema.com/2013/02/07/luxury-vs-lifestyle/
    I’m going to opt for the marble look alike!

• Reply Christina Ebbers February 27, 2013 at 2:41 pm

Cool! Yeah with 3 kids under the age of 5 I definitely think granite might be the better option for you, haha. And that slab you have a picture of looks very similar to Carerra, good find! I struggle with granite because like you said it’s super popular. For years now everyone’s been insisting on granite countertops and it’s making my head spin! Certain kinds of granite look downright ugly to me, even the ones people are fawning over on shows like House Hunters. BUT, because granite comes in so many colors, I do think that it is totally possible to have beautiful granite counters. You just have to find the right color and pattern, which it looks like you have! 🙂

• Reply Ma February 27, 2013 at 2:47 pm

You know exactly what I’m talking about in regards to everybody loving the granite! I have noticed that with shows like House Hunters. I think a lot of people just say, “Ohh.. granite..” because that’s all they know!! 🙂 How funny.

• Reply Quality kitchen and windows March 2, 2013 at 12:51 pm

Marble is to soft for a countertop, it is used on floors where in can be laid in cement. Granite is a better chose

• Reply Christina Ebbers March 2, 2013 at 12:59 pm

Hi there! While marble is definitely softer than granite, it is still often used for countertops. It’s just important that the homeowner understand the stone’s unique susceptibilities and be prepared to deal with the maintenance. Certainly marble isn’t right for every home. Granite is a great option for many people. Thanks for stopping by!

• Reply White Marble Bathrooms – design-vox March 25, 2013 at 11:53 am

[…] you recall a month ago when I sang the praises of white marble countertops for the kitchen? It stands to reason that I would love white marble in the bathroom as well, and indeed I do. I […]